Newfoundland and Labrador OpenData
[page originally published Jan 16, 2016]
If you are looking for data featuring Newfoundland and Labrador, then you should check out the Newfoundland and Labrador OpenData portal.
They are providing data in various accessible formats including numerical tabular styled files and text based format. The type of open data they are making available is based heavily upon the requests they receive from data users, and the quality of existing data that they have. So if you do not see the data you require, then be sure to contact them and see if they can have it and can make it available.
Public access to open data provides an opportunity for citizens and organizations to provide services that help society solve everyday problems while alleviating pressure on governments to accomplish the same tasks but with decreasing budgets. The data sets provided are ideal to use while creating a wide variety of helpful apps that people could use on their computers and smart phones. These applications then can help enhance existing data sets through crowd sourcing data from those that use them.
Users are free to download, modify, publish, translate, edit, distribute any of the Information with any medium, mode or format they wish for any lawful purpose. Data sets can be quickly found by choosing a key word or tags provided in the ‘Find Data by Tag’ tool, by searching with the search tools or browsing the data catalog list.
Newfoundland and Labrador OpenData portal offers a variety of data layers in many different categories but does not provide data such as road networks or topographic layers. If you require that type of data for Newfoundland and Labrador then we recommend that you try the GeoGratis / GéoGratis site.
Newfoundland and Labrador OpenData portal – http://opendata.gov.nl.ca/
Other sources of Newfoundland and Labrador include:
- Maps from Newfoundland & Labrador Statistics Agency http://www.stats.gov.nl.ca/Maps/
Community Accounts Map Centre – http://nl.communityaccounts.ca/maps.asp?_=vb7En4WVgbOxz7Zj (collection of pre-made maps)
- Community Infrastructure Mapping System – A community information shared program via google maps http://nlcims.ca/CIMS.aspx
Share this entry
Canadian GIS Education Programs
Contribute Canadian GIS Information, Education Program, Open Data or any other Canadian Geospatial related Info
Latest Geomatics Sector News, Events, Geo Books and more
- The most realistic 3D vehicle representation on Google EarthNovember 5, 2018 - 8:12 am
- GEO Jobe COO to Give Keynote Address at Memphis Area Geographic Information Council ConferenceOctober 30, 2018 - 10:04 pm
- Government of CanadaSeeking applications for Positions with the Social Security Tribunal of CanadaOctober 16, 2018 - 4:29 pm
- Geomatics Atlantic Oceans of DataSeptember 27, 2018 - 9:55 pm