The City of Vancouver Archives (official repository for the records of the City of Vancouver) contains over 4000 Vancouver historic maps and plans that they have repaired, restored and scanned in JPG and TIF formats (TIF versions available for download via FTP), and made them freely available to the public to use. The collection is searchable and view-able in full resolution through their online database.
An online mapping tool of Toronto has been providing users the ability to compare locations in Toronto through various periods of time from 2013 back to 1818. Check out this neat online mapping application that helps promote historic maps of Toronto …
Recently we purchased some old maps at a yard sale, and one of the old map books contained a tattered map featuring the Fortress of Louisbourg that we scanned, cleaned up in photo-shop and then reproduced. While searching for the date and source of our map print we also noticed that there have been several old Fortress of Louisbourg maps created and have included a few the links here to share with others …
Historic Maps of Prince Edward Island
The “Island Register” website is an amazing online resource for Historic Maps of Prince Edward Island (PEI) and information on PEI genealogy. They have a database with more then 1150 lineages and 4500 documents, including photos, maps, ship logs and much more.
Some of the online historical maps available that you can download and print include:
- 1744 Dressée sur les Manuscrits du Dépost des Cartes et Plans de la Marine
- Plan of the Island of St. John – from Samuel J. Holland and his survey of St. John’s Island showing Proposed Lots and Parishes (map shown above)
- 1800 Map of British North America
- 1832 M’Gregor Map of Prince Edward Island
- 1878 Railway and Postal Map of Prince Edward Island
If anyone knows of other sources of old maps of Prince Edward Island then we would love for you to share that info with us, so we can include it with our collection of Canadian historic cartography section.
Canadian GIS Education Programs
Contribute Canadian GIS Information, Education Program, Open Data or any other Canadian Geospatial related Info
Latest Geomatics Sector News, Events, Geo Books and more
- BC Economic Atlas now provides Save Project functionalitySeptember 14, 2018 - 10:48 pm
- NCIA Awards Upgrade of GIS Increment Contract to Compusult LimitedSeptember 7, 2018 - 10:14 pm
- Spatial Epidemiology and Outbreak DetectionAugust 9, 2018 - 2:35 pm
- Geomatics Atlantic Oceans of DataJuly 4, 2018 - 9:16 pm